What is Prospection?
Much of our mental life involves thinking about the future…These thoughts and feelings are prospections, mental representations of possible futures. Just like our brains can travel back in time (memories), we can also anticipate possible future events and use those cognitions to change our behavior. It is how we plan, foresee, imagine, and shape virtually any specific future event.
- Consumers imagine what clothes will like before buying.
- Writers envision their audience before writing.
- Every foodie salivates merely thinking about how good their food is going to taste.
- All products were designed by simulating what customers want to experience.
- Business leaders anticipate competitors before making decisions.
What is Prospection Sciences?
Prospection sciences systematically quantifies these future cognitive representations to proactively change behavior. Many may be familiar with the “behavioral sciences”, which analyzes behavior through the study of the past. Prospection sciences is the analysis of behavior through the study of future. SimProspection sciences systematically quantifies future mental representations to proactively change present behavior, as opposed to passively predict it.
- Prospection methods focus on changing behavior towards a desired future, while remaining well grounded and guided by the information in the present and the past.
What you should care?
- Anticipation precedes ALL action, anticipation drives all behavior.
- Anticipation makes up a large proportion of the total customer experience.
- Anticipation is a source of competitive advantage.
All aspects of behavior can be measured with a future orientation…
- Emotions can be felt in the moment and anticipated.
- Decision-making – intertemporal choices.
- Goals, motivations & desires.
- Prospective Memory – remembering future events.
- Intentions, Expectations & Anticipations.
- Time: temporal distances, spatial navigation.
- Story-telling – Effective narratives connect past, present and future.
- Behavior Change
- Word of Mouth